TR3 oil galley plug question

Subject: TR3 oil galley plug question
From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 10:04:12 -0600
        Sometime ago a story was related here about an engine failure shortly
after rebuild that it was speculated was caused by failure to clean out the
main oil galley on a TR3 block.  This was thought to have been the case
even though the owner had the block hot tanked and other wise fully
cleaned.

        Mine returned from the hot tank last week and looks good.  However,
when I
removed the old cam bearings there was still definite traces of old lube
around those bearings.  I would like to get a brush and some solvent down
through the galley.

        Of all the various exploded views of the engine block, including the
"official" spare parts catalogue, only one (Moss) shows a replacement part
for the plug in both ends of the galley.  It would seem that the only way
to remove these plugs would be via drill and easy-out, which of course
would then require replacement of one or both plugs.  In short, seems like
I'm being discouraged from removing these plugs.

        My question(s) (finally) is there some other way to remove these plugs?
Is there an easier way to accomplish what I want (to be sure the galley is
clean and flowing freely)?  How do you grip the plug when screwing a new
one back in?  What's the meaning of life?  What's the price of eggs in
China? (not that I've ever had any yen for Chinese eggs)

        In advance, thanks this list is one of the best assets we have for our
hobby and the light of my day.  Keep it just like it is and forever
growing.  Thanks and Happy New Year.

Ken Gano
kengano@advant.com
TR3A TS57756 (in pieces)