TR-7 Engine Surging

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-7 Engine Surging
From: Tony Maravola <maravola@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 00:04:45 -0600
I recently picked up another TR-7 (don't ask!).  It seemed to idle and
run ok until I put on a new exhaust.  After about 18 miles, the engine
began to surge and then almost die and surge again.  Now it won't idle.
We removed the intake and carbs, put on rebuilt Strombergs and fitted
all new gaskets.  It is still surging at idle from about 1000 rpm to
almost 2500 rpm.  Once it drops below 1000 rpm (when the engine finally
warms up) it dies completely.  Any Guesses?  I have another head
available, but I really am not looking forward to that in an unheated
garage!