Re: Turn Signal Problem

To: Lawrence Schilling <lchillin@siu.edu>
Subject: Re: Turn Signal Problem
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 16:58:18 -0500
Cc: TRIUMPHS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Lawrence Schilling wrote:

> In an early posting I described how my left turn signal works fine but my
> right one comes on and stays on.  Both of the signal lights and the
> indicator on the dash do this.

> I purchased a flasher unit from Rimmer's and got behind the parcel shelf to
> replace it.  Lo and behold, no flasher unit where it is supposed to be.  I
> peeked and poked and contorted myself like a pretzel under the dash but no
> flasher unit to be found.

Seems that a previous owner has replaced the flasher unit, and replaced
it someplace other than the standard location.

Does the right turn signal flasher audibly "click" when you turn it on?
(Does it make a sound, as well as make the lights blink?  -- it's
supposed
to.)  If so, turn the ignition to the "on" position, and try to find the
clicking box/ cylinder, whatever.  (Do this with the engine off, so that
the clicking is easier to hear.)  You may not be able to hear the click
from in the passenger compartment, especially if the PO put it in the
engine compartment somewhere.

If you're flasher unit is silent when operating, you'll need to trace
the
wiring harness to find where the flasher unit is.  It is probably
mounted
somewhere in the engine compartment if it isn't anywhere in the
passenger
compartment.

Also note that if the flasher works for one side, but not the other,
it is almost undoubtedly *NOT* the fault of the flasher unit.  (That is,
replacing the flasher unit isn't going to help at all, unless you are
replacing the unit with a "heavy duty" flasher.)

Rather, the problem that causes flashers to work on only one side is
that
there is too much resistance (not enough current flowing) on the side
that
remains on steady, so it doesn't flash.  This is actually *intentional*,
as it makes it obvious when cause number one of this problem (see list
below) has occurred...

Causes of flashing on one side of car only, steady light on other side,
roughly in order of likelihood:  (actually, on LBCs, the first/second
items listed may need to be reversed.... :-) :-))

  burnt out bulb on the "steady" side (check both front and back)
  poor connection (corrosion on connectors) on "steady" side
  disconnected buld on "steady" side (loose connector fell out)
  wrong type bulbs installed on "steady" side
  bad wiring (burnt out?) on front or rear (or both) of "steady" side

It may very well be that you are suffering from a number of the above,
in combination, as each has an additive effect.  I assume that your
flashers used to work fine, and that this is a new problem.

If the problem is with poor connections, a generic solid-state
(heavy-duty)
flasher should "fix" your problem, as it will flash with a much wider
range of current variation.

--ken
'74 TR6 with former flasher woes...

--