Re: Spit Motor Rebuild

To: triumphs@AUTOX.TEAM.NET ("Triumph Group"Return requested), Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com ("Vincenti, Ross")
Subject: Re: Spit Motor Rebuild
From: muntsb@HiWAAY.net (Bill Munts)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 97 22:18:01 GMT
Hi Ross,
I have a '70 MkIII Spit that has a scroll seal.  I rebuilt the motor myself
about three years ago.  So here are my answers, right or wrong :-)

> So, query for the masses - is the "flinger" seal analysis correct?

Yes, although I have always thought of it as more of a screw than flinger.

>   Is there actually supposed to be a hole in the bottom of the bellhousing?

There is on my Spit

> How much oil drippage is considered "normal" if in fact the scroll seal is
> as described?

Normal? My car will leave about a 2" diam. spot on cardboard after a drive.  I
have never noticed a drop in the oil level of the crankcase so it can't be to
much.  Remember a little hot oil goes a long way.

> What is the likelihood that my new clutch and pressure plate
> will become covered in oil?

I haven't had any problems with my clutch in the three years I have been
driving it.

> Any tips/thoughts as to how best minimize the oil leak?

My leak decreased a good bit when I switched to 20W50 oil form the 5W30 oil I
used right after the rebuild.  Is your crankcase venting properly?

> Any tips/thoughts as to how best placate my lovely wife and
> convince her that everything is going to be alright, and that "really,
> Honey, they ALL do that"?  Why didn't I notice any of this before?  Thanks
> to all in advance.  Cheers.

Now thats a hard question.  If you figure it out let me know!

Good Luck

Bill M.
'70 MkIII Spitfire