TR6 Engines and Heads and Stuff

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Engines and Heads and Stuff
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 15:12:35 -0500 (EST)
Hi folks,

Hope the New Year is filled with the thrill of touring in your triumph!

I'm pulling apart a TR6 engine, just for laughs, of course. This
particular engine came out of a '69, chassis number CC27777. The motor
number is close, somthing like CC28433 or something like that (sorry, I
did not commit the number to memory), but the interesting thing is that
the engine number is followed by HE. This implies that the engine was
origianlly a fuel injected engine according to the TRF engine number info
in the parts books. "H" meaning "high compression" and the example in the
book says "HE" means high-compression - fuel-injected.

Has anybody with an early TR6 seen numbers like this or do I have a car
that was built for "domestic" or european use? I have no idea of the
history of the car except that I bought it from a certified British-car
fanatic as a parts car. In point of fact, I'm trying to save the body
shell and frame etc. and make it into a racer, but it looks like this
particular car is a little unusual.

Of course, all Triumphs are unusual.

Then to complicate matters, a friend who was desperate for money offered
me a real deal on a set of DCOE webers along with a header and a neat-o
Ansa exhaust. Being the charitable type, I graciously offered my money to
help this person out! ;-).

So, if I get this thing together and running right, it's going to be so
powerful that I'll probably have problems keeping tires on it, right?

Oh well, it was about 20F out in the garage last night while I was
pulling the engine apart. Nice and toasty-warm! I don't know how you
folks down in Sun-belt land can stand those temps above 60F!

;-)
bye,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? Does a frame count as .25 or .33?