Re: Leaving Las Vegas

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leaving Las Vegas
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 07:41:32 -0800
> Questions:
> 1.) What do I ask about on this year car?
> 2.) What are the common things that go wrong with this car?
> 3.) Any suggestions on how to check out this car from my home in
> Minneapolis?
Lloyd,
That's tough to do from Minneapolis - other than the usuall used car stuff,
I would ask haw many miles, and what's been repaired or replaced, and with
new or rebuilt?  Has it been garaged or sitting outside all the time?  Has
it ever been in an accident?
  The 71 will have what they call the big bearing single Stromberg 1300 only
made for two years here in the states and will have the rear 'swing spring',
but retains the narrow rear track of the MKIII.  Things to look for would be
for RUST, fairly common.  Look at the bottom of the rockers, usually up by
the front wheels just under the bonnet latches for signs of bubbling, which
means outer sill replacement.  Not a difficult task if the rust is not too
bad.  Replacing inner sills, stiffener, and outer sills requires quite a bit
more work.  Check the floors for rust also.  Usually around the trailing arm
mounting brackets and in the front around where the sills join the floor.
Also have someone listen to the car when it first fires up for the tell tale
knocking before the oil light extinguishes, a sure sign the rod bearings are
getting loose, and a good bet the engine will need a rebuild soon.  Also
check for a howling noise from the rear as that will indicate a rear rebuild
is in order.  A particularly nasty and expensive job.  Clicking noises from
the rear, when turning, are most likely rear axle u-joints, a common problem
on the swing axle Triumphs and not one to deter you from buying the car.  If
the tranny hasn't been looked at second gear synchro will be shot, and
possibly third as well.  Listen for noise when accelerating in the gears.
If it has overdrive (desireable) then check its operation.
If everything checks out and the price is right for you, then welcome to the
fraternity!

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (major surgery almost done) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+