u-joint rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: u-joint rebuild
From: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 14:29:28 -0600
I have rebuilt my drive-shaft u-joints while I had the diff out anyway.  My
luck would have them go our two weeks after I get back on the road.  One
problem is that on the last cap I was doing, (of course) I managed to bread
a needle bearing.  (it's a long story I won't go into)  We all have these
long stories don't we!!

Any way I went ahead and reassembled the needles including the broken one
which was about 3/4 of the length of the others.  It seems to me this should
work ok.  It takes up room in there to hold everything in place.  It is long
enough to reach the post from the spider thing and it can roll around like
it should.  Am I missing something?

I could not use one old needle bearing from the old caps as they were a hair
bigger.  Also tried filling the new cap with old needles and wouldn't work.
Too stingy to buy a whole new u-joint for one needle bearing!  But..........

                        Gary Nafziger,  Wellman Iowa