Re: TR6 Seat Belts and Warning

To: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Seat Belts and Warning
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:12:20 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Scott asks this:
>2.      I want to replace the original seat belts (big, fat, canvas straps that
>        hook into the floor bolts and have these huge metal clasps to
>secure the
>        belts) with no cross body shoulder straps.  Victoria British's
>catalog lists
>        Inertia Belts (#12-498) which would provide a much safer belt and
>includes a
>        shoulder strap. It indicates for TR6 models up to '74 (? yr, not
>important),
>        you must buy 3 pairs of reinforcement plates to be secured in the
>wheel well.
>        Has anyone installed these or similar replacement belts and what
>was your
>        experience? Also, will this type of replacement belt fit into the
>existing
>        bolt holes in the floor and wheel well used for the original belts
>(although I
>        don't have the cross strap, the interior wheel well does have the
>bolt, capped,
>        for one to be attached)? VB could provide no assistnace to these
>questions,
>        but very nice over the phone. If anyone is interested, I'd be
>willing to sell
>        the original belts at a resonable price. They are in good shape,
>although a bit
>        dirty and faded.

Scott:
If you wish to keep the original style belts in the car, there are several
places that advertise in Hemmings that they will reweb your old belts if
the hardware is sound. I have installed the Securon retractor belts in my
car and like them. You will need to drill a hole in the wheelhouse to bolt
in the retractor, but all the other holes in the car are usable. Let me
know if you need help with this.

What follows is a warning and some words of advise: As a long-time racer
and SCCA member let me say that belts and harnesses are not to be taken
lightly. SCCA requires us to replace the harnesses in competition cars
every five years. This is because of the deterioration of the material and
stitching from UV exposure. I am sure that belts that are 25 years old
would be very nearly useless. Are you willing to find out? I think not. Do
yourself a favor and put in good harnesses, one way or another.

Philip E. Barnes       '71 TR6  CC61193L
Cornell University
Newman Laboratory of Nuclear Studies
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-4951