Re: Spitfire front suspension

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire front suspension
From: KEVIN EDDINS <eddinsk@ncts.nola.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 08:23:21 -0600
Cc: FraxStar@aol.com
>> 1. In past postings someone suggested a proceedure for installing
A-arm bushings using a C-clamp. Could the author please repost or send
the proceedure to me?

I'm not the original author, but I did exactly what you are doing just a
month ago.  A C-clamp is a good idea, and it is what i used to compress
the bushings into where they belong.  I don't know if coating the bushing
with oil before installing will hurt the rubber, but it was the only way I
could get the blasted things in.

>> 2. Can someone suggest an appropriate coil spring compression tool
and a place to obtain one? I was able to get the old units disassembled,
but the same proceedure will not work for assembly.

I had to use external compressor that was borrowed from a nice guy at
Western Auto who had an MGB GT.  Whatever kind you use, it cannot
take up much, if any room inside the coil.  The shock is just too close to
the spring.  I suggest finding a place that would spend 10 minutes to put
the unit together for you.  It should only cost you a few beans.

>>  3. During removal of the tie rod ends the rubber dust seals were
damaged.  Does anyone know of a source for these seals? Is there a
tool that can be used to remove the tie rod ends without damaging the
seals?

I'm not sure how you damaged the seals.  I replaced the tie rod ends and
the inner steering arm at the same time - that may be why I don't know.
The most difficulty was found in "breaking" the nut for the steering arm.
It took a very large crescent wrench and a huge pipe wrench and a lot
of grunting.  This may not be the best way.

Other suggestions:  Rebuild the trunnions while you have it apart.  It is
easy - unless you get a frozen bolt in the sleeve and spend FIVE days
trying to remove it! (ahem)  You can use a large C clamp put the trunnion
bushings together in the same manner as the A arm bushings, but much
less effort is involved.

Enjoy,

Kevin Eddins