Re: triumphs@autox.team.net digest #491 Mon Jan 13 02:35:01 MST 1997

To: Per Tore Wiik <per.tore.wiik@login.eunet.no>
Subject: Re: triumphs@autox.team.net digest #491 Mon Jan 13 02:35:01 MST 1997
From: Scott Kohl <rpage@wvi.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:33:50 +0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
The differences between the Mk. 1 and 3 Spits are many.  While they use
the same body shell, thw bumpers on the "Spitfire 4", as the Mk. 1 was
originally named, were low-set, the front running under the grille
openings.  On the Mark 3, both bumpers were raised to comply with the
then-new US minimum bumper-height regulations.  The Mark 1 interior is
rather stark, with a painted metal dashboard.  It was also fitted with
"wall-to-wall" rubber floormats, which will probably have long since
been discarded, and have long been unobtainable.  The mark three has a
vinyl covered dash, and factory carpeting.  The Mark 3's seats are
better, as well.
The biggest difference (most people would say "improvement") was the
powerplant.  The Mark 1 used an 1147 cc engine, rated at 63 BHP.  The
engine was taken out to 1296 cc for the 3, and power was increased  to a
more satisfying 75 BHP.  This engine is the one that road racers go for,
as up to 130 BHP or so is available, at up to 9000 RPM (!!).  As for
handling, the 3 has the same swing-axle as the Mk. 1, and unfortunately,
the extra power only exacerbated its tail-happy nature.  Its lucky that
there are simple and effective fixes for it-- I had a Mk.2 with a
PO-fitted camber compensator, and the imporovement over a stock Spit is
a revelation, indeed.  The Mark 1 has the rarity factor, but the
downside is, if you're the 100% originality kind, some things like the
aforemontioned mats, are hard or perhaps impossible to get.  The Mk. 1 I
am acquiring, for instance, had already had its mats replaced with
carpeting, which would probably apply to the one you're considering.
Please let me (us) know your decision, and what your impressions are.
Good luck, and watch out for the dreaded sill rot!
                                                   Scott Kohl