RE: Questions about Spitfires MKI & MKIII

To: "Per Tore Wiik" <per.tore.wiik@login.eunet.no> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Questions about Spitfires MKI & MKIII
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 13 Jan 1997 08:34:49 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 068F232DA642900D-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 13 Jan 1997 08:34:49 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 13 Jan 1997 08:34:49 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <068F232DA642900D*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
On Sunday,  Per Tore Wiik wrote:
I am planning to buy a Spitfire, and I'm wondering about differences between
MKI and MKIII. I have heard that the roadhandling is much better for the
MKIII because of a better  suspension/axle. Is this true?  I'm also
interested in experiences, good or bad with the MKI & MKIII, because  I have
to choose witch one of two possible buys. Thank you!
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Well, from what I know (which admittedly isn't anywhere on the scale as some
members of this list), there are more similarities than differences with
respect to the Mk I/II and Mk III Spits.

Primary differences are the motor (1300 cc, 8 port cylinder head, more
horsepower/torque, etc.), the rear suspension (swing spring), the dashboard
arrangement, and the convertible top which instead of the "build it from
scratch" design on the Mk I/II, is a permanently bolted in folding frame
with top that folds down into the recessed well behind the seats.

Other things to consider:
1) The swing spring rear suspension on the Mk III is generally less likely
to tuck under during heavy cornering - but you need to ask yourself "what
kind of driving will I be doing?"  If just puttering around and enjoying a
weekend fun car, don't let the swing spring rear suspension be the sole
deciding factor in your purchase.  During "normal" driving you will probably
not notice any difference.

2) Parts availability - Parts are generally easier to find for the Mk III
than for the earlier Mk I and Mk II.  Some parts for the Mk I/II are damn
near impossible to find anymore (distributors w/ tach drive, top frame
assemblies, front bonnet grills,  intake manifolds, etc.)

3) The Mk III is considered by many to have the best all around performance
of the Spits due to the engine's ability to rev a little more freely than
the later 1500 block (shorter stroke = easier revs, basically speaking) and
higher horsepower rating.

Both the Mk I and Mk III are good cars to have fun with.  If I were looking
at both cars to buy, I'd go with the one that has the least rust and is in
generally better condition (and hope that it is the Mk III).  It'll save you
from the headaches of repair and restoration work later.  If the Mk I is in
far better condition than the Mk III and the price is right then I see no
reason not to purchase the Mk I Spit.  Make sure to do a thorough inspection
and make sure that the car is complete - i.e., there are no missing parts
such as front bonnet grills or the front bumper, etc.  I would not assume
that whatever may be missing can be picked up easily.  I am just about
finished restoring a Mk I Spitfire and find it to be a terrific LBC as it is
not as costly as the later TR-6 or the earlier TR-3 in terms of parts, etc.
(although not as powerful either).  There are a couple of very minor things
I wish the Mk I had (8 port head, anti-burst door locks, bolt in hood frame)
but otherwise they are not that different.  Anyways, good luck with your
purchase,

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe (next project)