TR6 Rod bolts...more

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Rod bolts...more
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:34:00 -0600
Tony Robinson comments that grage 8 bolts from your local hardware store
are better (and definately cheaper) than the "platinum plated" ones sold
by our favorite sportscar supply houses.  I can back this up and go one
further...

I've been building hi po motors - mostly ford "kent" blocks and TR 6
since 1988.  I have learned muc by watching really old mechanics who
have forgotten more than I know.  I have <never> had a rod failure using
conventiional grade 8 bolts,  and I have spun the fiesta at over 8 grand
in autoX.  The Triumph comp book (GT6) suggests though the stock bolt is
adequate it may be replaced with "grade 8 or better",  no specific brand
or otherwise.

A local machist uses a bolt called "lammaloy - or L9"  in chevys and has
done the same for TR's.  I found a line of grade 12 socket head bolts
called "Unbrako".  The unbrako have the same smooth dull grey/black
finish as the stock bolt with a knurled hex head.  The fit between the
bolt and the threads is absolutely perfect and the bolts will run into
the rod with no snagging or tight spots.  They are obviously of a higher
quality than a normal "grade 8" bolt which does not fit as well.

Are we just lucky in Canada (brr, it's cold in Winnipeg!) or has anyone
else out there found these bolts.  They're only a few cents more than
grade 8 and I think well worth it.

PS:  sinceyou're obviously looking at bearings,  consider TriumphTune in
England for this.  They sent me Vandervell shells of the VP 2 material
for considerable less money than I could buy Clevite Michigan 77's at
jobber here.  Ya, the call costs a few bucks but it's a great outfit and
hi po parts are almost always cheaper.  Maybe because  we don't pay
duty  importing from England  and don't have a uge automaker's lobby.
(?!?)

Dave Terrick
65 TR 4A
69 Gt6 + ("show racer")