Re: TR-6 rear shock conversion?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-6 rear shock conversion?
From: dynamic@pbgi.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 20:53:59 -0800 (PST)
>Does anyone have any opinions on the rear shock conversion from lever to
>straight shock?  I have heard that lever aren't  that bad that they should
>be gotten rid of. Any thoughts or experiences?
>
>                Gary Nafziger, Wellman, Iowa

I do beleive that changing to tube shocks would serve you better than to
stick with levers, BUT... I have not seen any commercially available kits
that I think are designed properly.  This includes the kit from Moss, which
admittedly is the best I know of, only because it does not use the bodywork
to support shock absorber loads like any others.  This has motivated me to
develop my own shock kit, but it is far, far from being even built!  I
don't know if it ever will be, either.  But, the plans I have now are for
an entirely bolt-on affair that retains everything that is good about lever
shocks (lower unsprung weight)yet uses a good quality telescopic damper.

The short of it is that I would not waste money on presently available tube
shock kits.  Stick with the levers!

Just my opinion!

Pete Chadwell

1973 TR6