TR 456 lever arm conversion kits

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR 456 lever arm conversion kits
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:37:12 -0600
Another  been there done that story.

About ten years ago I purcased a kit from a company called Englander
Automotive in Oregon (can't find the bill with a number, on demand I'll
look and post).

It was quite simple and sold for about $100 at the time.  It bolts to
the existing shock mount and uses a '58 vette (go ask for THOSE at your
friendlt GM dealer and see the reaction!) or similar front shock.

The  bit the shock bolts to protrrudes only as much as the bump stop
bracket so your only problem would be larger than 205 section tyres or
REALLy REALLY agressive driving.

On that note,  I installed them on my '65 TR 4A IRS when it was running
and racing.  With nylatron front end, a big addco sway bar, moss comp
springs and spax adjustibles the car was quick in slalom.  The rear end
could not handle the R1 race tyres on the road course though.  I
installed this kit and no longer did the car hop around at 95 mph (as
fast as it goes with a 4.11 diff nad 195 /50 15's at redline).  Boy did
I surprise some Tr 6's...  the kit alone was worth nearly 2 sec on the
track.

COMMENTS ABOUT THE SUPERIORITY OF THE LEVER SHOCKS REQUIRE A PERFECT AND
MODIFIED SHOCK WITH HEAVIER VALVING.  I agree they CAN be made to work,
it just costs a lot more, and in most racing organizations, it is
required that you keep the same style of shock.  It is in Canada.

A third option is a coil over kit made by a company called
Racestorations somewhere in England.  That's really expensive but is the
"hot tiket" over there.  Just how fast do you want to go?

For anyone who is interested,  one of our engineer club members has made
the kits of my description.  I'm sure I could convince him to draw a set
of blueprints for you diehards.  There's no money in it unless you do a
bunch of kits like Englander did (try to find him) but with a competent
welder and a plasma cutter or hacksaw and plenty of beer, you too can
make this kit.  No holes to drill,  cheaper, better handling,  and good
for 99 percent of you out there.

Anyone interested can post me directly at dterrick@pangea.ca.
Depending  on requests, I may try to post a blueprint.

Yours in Motorsport

Dave Terrick
aka "Goggles Pizano froma de olda country" (look out Flintstones fans)