TR6 Diff Rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, LANG@isis.mit.edu
Subject: TR6 Diff Rebuild
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:02:21 -0500 (EST)
Bob Lang wrote:

If you also want to replace the stub axle seals, the manual shows that
you need a big hydraulic press to separate the hub from the stub axle. It
turns out that you can do the job without taking the stub axle apart, but
the process requires that you destroy the bearing to do it. I'll post
details, if anyone is interested. I intend to do this to one of my diffs
in the next few weeks.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bob,

I've removed the stub axel seals on my diff without a Big Hydraulic Press
I Used a standard wheel puller and a little heat, actually an acetylene
torch.  Be carefull that you don't hit the trigger.  Put tension of the
flange with the wheel puller and apply heat until the hub starts to glow.
This will take about 5 minutes so be patient.  When the hub feels like
comming off it will POP off and that is the signal to go do the other
one.

Also allow the flange hubs to cool before handling because they will
stay hot for a long time.

This technique doesn't destroy the bearings.

Cheerio
Dave, St. Louis, MO USA
TR6Massey@aol.com