Re: Buy locally or remotely

To: Bob Gaughan <bgaughan@BayNetworks.COM>
Subject: Re: Buy locally or remotely
From: Daniel Pruzan <dpruzan@nearinc.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 13:55:45 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bob Gaughan wrote:

> I'm looking for some sage advice on a issue concerning buying a TR (or any
> sports car for that matter).
>
> Living in New England, am I better off leaning towards the purchase of a
> relatively rust-free Arizona/California model and transporting it back to
> Massachusetts.  Or am I better off buying a car locally after really
> scrutinizing for damage from the worse climate here?
>
> How much does it cost to have a car transported from AZ/CA to MA?
>
> Other issues?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Gaughan
> bgaughan@baynetworks.com

Bob,

I recently had a Stag transported from Upstate NY to the San Francisco
area for $750.  If the car doesn't run it would be a bit more expensive
since they have to winch it on and off the truck.

With respect to buying a CA/AZ car I have to say that I am constantly
amazed at the condition of old vehicles out here.  Back in NY if you did
see an old car it usually was covered in rust, here the bigger problem is
oxidized paint.  While you can get a good rust free car in the Northeast,
I would imagine that there are much more to choose from out here.  On the
other hand I personally would be very afraid of buying a car that I
havn't had the chance to thoroughly inspect.

Good Luck

Dan Pruzan
71 Stag
Santa Clara, CA