Re: TR4 assistance

To: rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu
Subject: Re: TR4 assistance
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 15:36:45 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

> This is what I did with my TR-3, oh so many years ago.
>  I mounted a radio unit so that it was isolated from the body
>  (ie., wooden panel in the glove box, for example) and then
>  wired positive to positive and negative to negative.  Then
>  you also have to isolate the antenna, since the co-ax lead
>  is connected to the body ground.  What I did there was to
>  remove the outer insulation, then cut the braid and remove
>  about an inch of the braid.  Then I soldered a capacitor
>  across the gap in the braid, so that it would be connected
>  for high frequency signals, but without the DC short.  Then
>  everything was covered back up with either electrical tape
>  or shrink tubing.  It worked like a charm.
>       I'm sure there are other schemes, but this was easy. <snip>

John, thanks for the info.  I thought of doing that but didn't want to take
the risk of having the insulation fail due to vibration rubbing it to the
point that would create a short between the radio and some part of the car.

So - I figured that there were 2 safe ways to go:

1) Rewire the car for positive ground (which is reatively simple - I have
SINCE found out)  OR
2) Design an electrical circuit which would use an inverter to flip the
polarity and then connect the radio to that circuit.

I chose the 2nd option and it works fine.  But knowing what I know now, I
would probably rewire the car itself to negative ground - (realizing that
screws up the originality concept).

Thanks again. Cheers.
Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)