TR4 wheels and tires

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 wheels and tires
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 08:05:40 -0500 (EST)
Re. the discussion about what wheels and tires will fit under what, let me
offer my experiences here...

I started restoring my '63 TR4 as a street car, then it gradually evolved
into an autocrosser.  Thanks to input from lots of people, including John
Lye, I've checked out the following:

First, the car was lowered 2", by putting shorter springs up front and
lowering blocks in the rear, so any of these tires should fit a stock height
TR4 (or 6, I suppose).

On stock TR6 wheels (5.5 X 15), I used Toyo 205.65.15s, with no trouble
except they looked a little too tall in the wheelwells (remember it was
lowered).  However, I saw no indication of rubbing anywhere.

Also on stock TR6 wheels, I've got Bridgestone 205.60.15s which look great on
the lowered car and also don't rub.

When I made the commitment to autocross it only, I bought a set of 7 X 15
Panasports with 0 (zero) offset and put Goodyear slicks on (8.0 X 23.0 X 15
front with a 1/2" spacer and 9.0 X 23.0 X 15 rear.  As John said, they stick
way out the sides and flares of some sort are necessary to keep rocks from
flying too far and because it looks like one of the little pimpmobiles
otherwise.  You also have to be careful not to run over your toes when
pushing it around.  Anyway, there's no rubbing, but the spacer is necessary
in the front.
If you're not going all out for racing, I'd suggest sticking with the 5.5" or
6" Panasports (or TR6 wheels look great) and a street tire not over 205,
depending on how you want it to look.  I believe the offset is 10mm on the
Panasports, but check with the dealers to make sure.  The backspacing should
be basically the same as a stock TR6 wheel, which we know fits the TR4 OK.

Incidentally, the 205.65.15s are Toyo Proxes and are practically unused
(probably 1,000 miles on them).  If anyone wants them, I'll let them go for
$60 each plus whatever it takes to ship them.  I think some folks have
decided this is the size of choice for TR6s, and I don't need them.

G'luck..
Don Marshall
'57 TR3  '63 TR3B   '63 TR4