Tire Sizes on a TR-4

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tire Sizes on a TR-4
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 12:26:49 -0500 (EST)
umm

I really must admit that I didn't carefully read the posts. . . but it looked
like someone was looking for input as to what tire sizes would fit on TR's by
asking John Lye about his TR-4.

mmmm  John's TR-4 is a cool ass race car . .  and he himself is a good source
of knowledge. . . but what might apply on his very modified car isn't going
to help too much for us regular steet folks.  (Although his "Diner" TR-3,
which is a cool street car, does have some nice panasports and tires if
Memory serves right)

So anyway . . . I thought I"d add my data point to the list for wheels and
tires.

I've got a pretty normal TR-4 (not 4A)  and have American Racing mags on it.
I believe the wheels are 6inches wide, but I don't know what the offset is.
(sorry)
I've got 215 65R15 tires on in and they look pretty good to me.
I havent done the math as to how this would affect the speedo, but when I put
them on . . . I set them up next to the original size 165R15 's that I took
off. . . the outer diameter. . and thus circumference looked very very close.
. . certainly within the limits of that bouncy Speedo needle I have. (I'm
lucky if it bounces actually)

The rear wheels fill up the wheel wells perfectly.  Looks great.

The fronts actually stick out just a hair from the stock front fenders.
Always thought It was kind of strange looking having a wider front track than
rear.

As far as interference with the suspension . .  I have an aftermarket ADDCO
front sway bar . . .  and the tires don't rub it under static conditions ..
.but they are damned close.  So I don't make U-turns with the steering wheel
turned as far as it will go just to avoid any trouble.

Everything else is just fine.

Your Milage may vary.

Scott Tilton
Missing his TR-4