Re: Another loss of power question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Another loss of power question
From: DaveFain <kc3565l@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 09:33:09 -0700
Cc: jstovall@earthlink.net

> Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 17:58:49 -0800 (PST)
> From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
> Subject: Another loss of power question
>
> Hey everyone who knows more than me,
>         I'm fustrated. After getting a piece for the GT6, I saw I had to
> drill another hole in it. No problem. So I popped off the carb so I could
> take out the spindle and and get very percise, since this is the
> accelorator link that roatates on the thing. Figuring I should replace the
> washers that are between the carb and the manifold, I decided to take both
> off. And then, I figured I should fix that float level problem. Okay.
> Great. I get the things back on get 'em tuned to perfection (I think).
> Then, I hop in to take off, turn the key, and-er, er, er, errrrrrrrrrrrr.
> My battery's dead. No problem, right? So I charge the sucker up and slap
> her back in there. Car starts on the first try (very gratifying!). We take
> off. No power. Lost 75% of its torque.
>         So, anyone wanna help me out here? Or should I just take it to the
> garage for a good tuneup? Thanks, everyone.
>
> Jeff Stovall
> jstovall@earthlink.net
> "I'm God's gift to humility."
> 1966 Triumph GT6 mk1
> It could be that the carbs are waaaay out of sync with each
other.  Some folks adjust this by listening to the hiss of
air through the carbs and tweaking until they sound the same.
I'm lazy and use a meter that measures the air flow.  More
likely, one or both of the diaphragms has a leak or one of the
jets needs to be centralised which keeps the air valves from
lifting properly.  Take the air cleaner off and peek inside
the carbs while you blip the throttle.  Both valves should
move precisely in unison.  You might also want to top off
the oil in the carbs.  Everybody has a different opinion
about what kind of oil to use.  I use 3 in One. Try to fix
it yourself before you give up and take it to a mechanic.
You never know when you will find yourself out in the boonies
without a mechanic in sight.
Dave Fain
1967 GT6 MkI