Re: 89mm Pistons????

To: kc5gxl@pnx.com
Subject: Re: 89mm Pistons????
From: Tony Robinson <TonyR@dzn.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 16:20:45 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
kc5gxl@pnx.com wrote:

> I can't say for sure about the triumph cylinder liners, but, I know that
> with the liners available for VW if a person was to bore the liners to
> an oversize dimension, the cylinders would burn too hot and cause major
> problems.
> Dan, 75 spit in the beginning throws of rebuilding

Dan,
 Why would you think using VW rings would cause overheating?
 I rebuilt my 64 TR4 installing new 87 mm pistons but had no rings.
 I ordered rings three times from Moss and they kept screwing the order
up, but that is another story.
 I re cut the ring grooves to accept the 87mm VW rings since they are
wider, and that was around 40,000 miles back.
 I did have one incident of overheating but that was from a hole in the
radiator.
 Guess I am just blessed.
Regards,
TonyR