TR6 with Webers won't stay lit

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 with Webers won't stay lit
From: Keith Ehrlich <75452.105@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 19 Jan 97 16:58:33 EST
My 74 TR6 is fitted with Weber DVG downdrafts and intake ( DPO setup) with stock
ignition, stock exhaust manifold and stock exhaust system. I recently bought
this car and don't yet have a lot of experience with it.

I woke up the car and went on a nice (20 degree cold) 30 mile run yesterday.
Started up just fine and went to idle nicely once warmed up. Under power and
load, the 6 ran smooth and strong. But...every time I came to a stop, gearing
down, once I went to a rolling stop with the  engine off load, the RPM's would
just dop off and stall out. I could start it right up each time.  If I played
chicken at the stops with the handbrake, and caught the RPM on the way down
working the accelerator, it would stay at idle, although somewhat low. This was
happening the last time I was out on the same warmup run about 3 weeks ago. Any
ideas what's going on here?

On similar subject, there has been a lot of useful commentary of late on the
merits of various free flow exhaust systems. Anyone with any experience on
headers as well, especially for my type of Weber setup? I'm thinking of going
with the Crane electronic ignition and 40K coil as well, if that affects the
outcome.

Also ( nit) can someone with an original TR6 please measure for me  the exact
location of the Leyland medallions on the front fender sides.

Thanks all.

Keith Ehrlich
74 TR6 21812U