Vacuum retard/advance - TR6 - please help :-)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Vacuum retard/advance - TR6 - please help :-)
From: Michael Noerregaard <ngaard@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:21:03 +0100
Dear Fellow scions,

My TR made it to Denmark, and in one piece - so I have been driving it for
about a week now - and have noticed that it is not very willing to
accelerate at low rpm's. Initially I thought that it might be a carb
problem, since I haven't touched the carbs yet after I bought it - and
before that, the car sat for three years. Well, when checking the plugs, it
seemed like if anything, it might be running a bit thin mixture - but
otherwise the mixture seems to be alright.

So, I turned to the ignition - and this is the reason for this novice
e-mail :-).  From what I can see the different models of TR6's had a
variety of combinations of advances and retards (vacuum that is), and that
mine, a '74 only seems to have a retard. How does that work? What happened
to the 'advance' off earlier TR6's? Is the 'mechanical' advance in the
bottom of the distributor enough - or is there some other little secret to
it? My car-freak-buddy has a hard time believing that the car only has a
vacuum retard - and actually thinks that what I call the vacuum retard on
the car is actually a vacuum advance. Well, Moss shows in their catalogue
that the '74 TR6 only has a vacuum retard....anybody care to explain this
to the novice mechanic (that would be me)? and maybe just a few words on
how it works?

As suggested by Roger (among others) I have all the emission control stuff
blocked off - and also the retard unit unhooked from the vacuum pipes.....

Thanks,

Michael