Re: mk II / mk III+ Spit tops

To: Ed Burger <eburger@sagelink.com>
Subject: Re: mk II / mk III+ Spit tops
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 11:34:50 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Ed Burger wrote:

> Has anyone here tried mounting the post Mark III style soft top onto a
> mark I or II Spitfire?  The Mark I + II have a removable soft top.  The
> Mark III and up have a permanent easier erecting top.  Has anyone put
> this onto a Mark I or II Spitfire.
>
> Ed

In order to do this, you'd need to be able to mount the main frame pivots
securely on the interior panel behind the doors, which would certainly
require some fabricating or pirating the appropriate sheet metal from a
donor Mk.3 Spitfire. Also, you'd need the correct windshield header rail
and/or perhaps the entire windshield frame, as the Mk.3 top frame locks
down to the header.

My personal opinion is that it's probably not worth the effort. I always
rather liked the earlier-style top. Yes, it's harder to erect. But if you
have a good original or quality aftermarket top with all the correct
snaps, hooks and reinforcements, the erected top on a Spitfire 4 or Mk.2
is nearly as snug as that of a Mk.3. Plus, on the older cars, when the
top is down and stowed, there's nothing in the way, again (IMHO) a
somewhat cleaner look to the car.

--Andy