Re: mk II / mk III+ Spit tops

To: Barry Schwartz <Bschwartz@encad.com>
Subject: Re: mk II / mk III+ Spit tops
From: Ed Burger <eburger@sagelink.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 12:03:20 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Barry Schwartz wrote:

> > Has anyone here tried mounting the post Mark III style soft top onto a
> > mark I or II Spitfire?
> Aside from the fact that the mounting for the "sticks" is different, the
> main problem is the header rail on the windscreen.  The early tops had a lip
> and a pair of snaps, with a couple of clamp type latches that secured the
> soft top.  The MKIII used a turn key latch system similar to the MKIV,
> 1500's and utilized a completely different header/windscreen system similar
> to that used on the later Spitfires.  You could use a windscreen frame from
> a MKIII (if you can find one!) and change the mounting for the sticks, but
> it would seem like a lot of trouble.

Is it that hard to mount a Mark II soft top?  I had wanted to add a
couple conveniences in hopes that some day this could be a daily driver.
Is it that much easier to raise a Mark III + top?  I could probably find
the parts easily enough.  There is a Mark III spit in a junkyard near me
that might have the parts ... if I'm going to canabilize it off of
another spit, which spit should I pick it off of?

Ed