Re: Spitfire MK3 O/D gearbox

To: "Lukin, Gavin" <GLukin@nibupls1.telstra.com.au>
Subject: Re: Spitfire MK3 O/D gearbox
From: "Bill and Sal Birney" <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 19:35:14 +1100
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> I may have an option to get a Dolomite 1850 overdrive gearbox. I was
> wondering if it was true that I could use this in my MK3 spitfire. What
> extras do I need to convert my car to overdrive
> (tailshaft?,solenoids?,mounting brackets?etc?)

Quite a bit. This box is more closely related to the GT6 box than the
Spitfire one. This means that there will be bits for the clutch that will
need to be specially modified (I know this as I was going to use the
internals to rebiuld my GT6 box, however you need to use the original GT6
mainshaft, and mine was U/S, and get the input shaft modified, new clutch
plate made). The mounting brackets will also be different as well (I
haven't seen one, but I think the cases may be different-any comments
anybody?). ect ect.
Finally, is the box any good? My GT6 box was STUFFED. I beleive that the
boxes are not large enough to cope with the 6's torque, I don't know how
many horses and Nm a 1850 Dolomite puts out, however bits for this box are
expensive and not the easiest to find in OZ.

If your looking to change to an O/D, then there are a number of things you
can do.

(i) Try to source an original type O/D box (4 speed/3syncr) here or in the
U/K

(ii) Make up the necessary gear for the above box (not impossible).

(iii) Buy a late model (1500) single rail box with O/D. you may need some
clutch parts (they should be relatively standard though), a mounting plate,
and a tailshaft. My suggestion for a tailshaft is either a 1500 unit with
the constant velocity joint, or a sedan (2000,2500) one shortened to suit.
They all use the same UJ, and so you just put the right sized drive plate
on.

A possible source of a single rail box could be "Pickards of Melbourne"
Phone 03 9428 9655, no link and no promises, I would suggest you haggle
over price, he brings in a lot of bits and cars from the US.

I am commenting from what I have learned, if you (or anybody else out
there) knows other requirements, let me know as I am considering using a
single rail box in my MkII race car.

> (Anyone got a Spitfire 1300 motor for sale?)

I've got a MkIV 1300 (big bearing) motor that has been in my garage for
some time (I was going to use it in the above car, however I'm going to
keep the bored out 1147 (to 1296cc) motor I use at present) it will need to
be rebuilt. I may part with this, e-mail me next week, and we'll organise
to talk, when I'm back in Mebourne if your interested.

Meanwhile, check our club out at:

http://www.vicnet.net.au/~tsoavic/

Bill and Sal Birney
'70 GT6+ (RHD)
'67 Spitfire MkII (restoration)
'69 Spitfire MkIII (Sal's, in queue)

birneybs@onaustralia.com.au

Melbourne, Australia (although not presently)