Re: Header for TR-6

Subject: Re: Header for TR-6
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 07:49:31 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Michael D. Porter wrote:

> This pipe arrangement only gets to be a
> problem if the duration of the cam exceeds about 280 degrees... at that
> point, gas streams start to go back up pipes they shouldn't.  If you've
> got a cam that broad, you aren't heading for the street.

Not so, at least not in my neck of the woods.

The *standard* TR5/early TR6 PI cam has a 280 degrees duration, and it is
very civilized. There are lots of cam profiles in the 280 to 300 degree
area that are perfectly suited for street use. A high lift 280 degree cam
would produce improved low end torque as well as much improved high end
compared to a, say, 240 degree cam.

So, if it is power you are seeking, steer away from anything that tries to
combine 3 cylinders in one. And, as has already been mentioned, tube
resonator systems (6-1) are considered too narrow banded for street use.

Egil
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway