Re: TR6 Timing chain replacement

To: <hapkejs@cig.mot.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Timing chain replacement
From: "Mike Hooper" <hooper@genrad.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:07:50 -0000
Jeff,

> From: <hapkejs@cig.mot.com>
> > Over the weekend I dug into the engine to replace the timing chain. In
order
> > to remove the harmonic balancer I'll have to remove the steering rack.
Is this

> > the way to go? Do I need to worry about screwing up my alignment when I
remove

> > the rack?

The manuals say remove the rack and this is what I did when removing the
timing cover. I don't think the alignment will be affected, however this
would be a good opportunity to replace the rubber mounting bushes for
aluminium or polyurethane, this give better location and improve the
steering rigidity so I'm told, I intend to do this when I get the time :-).

> > I tried to remove the front engine mounts, and jack the engine up a bit
> clear
> > the rack, but couldn't get enough height before the bellhousing hit the
> firewall.
> > Should I try to drop the rear of the engine, pivoting about the front
mounts,
> > thus raising the front of the engine?
> >
> > Jeff Hapke '74 TR6

Regards