RE: GT6 + tires, shock, springs

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: GT6 + tires, shock, springs
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 11:21:48 -0800
Dave and Richard,
I currently run 165R/13's all around on my stock GT6+ with wire wheels.  I
get a slight fender lip rub on hard cornering from the right rear( probably
due to tolerance variation from the factory ).  The front clears fine.  They
also fill the wheelwells quite well.  This is assuming you have stock offset
on your rims.  I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than that for the
eariler body style.  The bigger tires on Richard's car work because of the
changes to the fender areas on the MKIII.  With that body style the wheel
arch was widened slightly over the MKII's.  In fact I have the same
suspension grafted onto my 72' Spitfire and you can safely run 205/60's
(have them on the car now with stock offset panasports ), provided you
install a 1/4 inch spacer on the rear.  The shock mounting brackets and
shock's require the clearance, not the fender.  I also currently run Koni's
on both cars but don't notice any particularly harsh riding conditions.  In
fact the GT6 is a little soft for my taste and am thinking of setting them a
little harder.  They are currently set full soft.

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (major surgery almost done) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+