Re: Driving without the clutch...?

To: ak627@dayton.wright.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Driving without the clutch...?
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 15:42:12 -0500
In a message dated 97-01-23 21:51:31 EST, ak627@dayton.wright.edu (Tom Tweed)
writes:

>  I must confess here that I've never tried no-clutch shifting in a car.
>  I'll take your word for it !

Story!  Back in '68 I had a VW bug as a (second car).  While driving one
Sunday, with my wife and our 18 month old son, the clutch cable broke (there
were no clutch hydralics on the older VW).  I became the man of the hour and
astonished my wife when I drove that car 90 miles home without the clutch.
 Her comment was "how can you do that, my father always told me to be careful
to use the clutch correctly when shifting."  She still tells that story on
occasion.  And after all these years of marriage I need all the good stories
I can get - since she has a few not so good ones also. :-)

So - it works but I wouldn't do it all the time.  We have clutches in cars to
make shifting easier and to save wear on the transmission etc.  But as with
everything - when in real trouble, Improvise!    Cheers.

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (original owner/daily driver)