Re: Driving without the clutch...?

To: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Driving without the clutch...?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:04:39 -0500 (EST)
Cc: james.sudduth@autodesk.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Sholtes IV wrote:

> Bob Lang wrote:
>
>              ~snip (some excellent advice on thrust washer r&r)~

Aww shucks...

> >  Your
> > mileage may vary. Also, I don't use the clutch, so that probably reduced
> > the wear on the crank do the improper installation of the T.W.'s the
> > first time.
>
>                  ~snip(more excellent advice)~
>
> Bob,
>
>    Thank you for sharing your T.W. knowledge with us, but I gotta
> know...HOW? How do you drive without using the clutch????

If the car is rolling and you get the revs correct, you don't really need
the clutch. I'm not saying that everybody should do this, it's just that
after driving the car for 80000 miles or so, you get a feeling for which
gear and revs combination applies for a given situation.

I do this with all my manual transmission cars.

I think this is why my freinds only rarely let me drive their cars! ;-)

>I wonder, did you mean to say abuse?

Nope. I rarely make the gears clash or anything. Surprisingly, it is very
easy to get a car to shift sans clutch. You just have to force yourself
not to try to force the gearshift lever!

>  or do you have an automatic? (which do exist, I > believe).

I have seen an article somewhere, British Car magazine, I think where a
guy put a Triumph 2500 saloon automatic gearbox in a TR6.

I do not have an automatic.

> I gotta know, I gotta know, I gotta...

You're nearby, sometime if we both make an event like Granby or Day of
Triumph or something, I'll show you how it's done...

>                             JOE IV
>                             TR 250
>                       WALLINGFORD, CT. USA

crunch, crunch,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? Never enough. I have three spare
trannys...