TR6 Rear Differential Questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Rear Differential Questions
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 19:00:02 +0000
I've read the posts that refer to the problem of removing the rear hub
from the axle stub shaft to get at the seal for replacement.

Restored my 71TR6 back in 91/92 and had the same problem.
- one of the flanges almost fell off and the other would not
come off regardless.
- Tried to pull it off and bent a good Proto Hub Puller.
- Hammered/heated (still no good)
- Finally resorted to a torch and a major 50+ ton power press
at work and the hub finally came off with the bearing and of
course the seal destroyed.

I'm in the process of doing the same to a 70 differential. Both hubs are
stuck on the tapered shaft. I'm not looking for all the grief I went
through the last time!

The shop manual (Bentley) makes no mention of a press>

Has anyone removed the hub, seal plate, stub shaft with bearing as a
unit and tried pulling the bearing (with a bearing splitter and a press
or puller)? Looks possible per the manual.

Any 4.11's or lockers out there for sale?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated

Glenn Franco

71 TR6
74 TR6 currently getting a frame off (early engine and drive train a
real Heinz 57 car)