Re: Isn't Dremel one of Santa's Reindeer?

To: jstovall@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Isn't Dremel one of Santa's Reindeer?
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 18:22:04 -0500 (EST)
Cc: lesf@metronet.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> >What are the clever (and not so clever) uses for my new toy? What (Spitfire
> >parts) should I NOT try to fix with it?
>
> Dremels! What fun! I've used it mostly for cleaning rust (for heavy, packed
> rust, use a sanding drum first and then use the wire brush) and cutting
> bolts. It's great for detail work, that's defintaly its strong point. The
> drill bit isn't worth anything other than drilling guide holes. I'll try
> and think of some more uses.

  I've found the drill bit quite useful for drilling out pop rivets.  I also
just adore the little wire-wheel attachments.  I use those to clean and
polish just about everything that ends up in my hands.  The do tend to throw
tiny little wires about the shop which you can later manage to put your hand
down on.  Now if you could only use a Dremel as a tweezer...

  My biggest job with my Dremel though was cutting through the bolt and
spacer that holds (held) the intake manifold to the exhaust manifold on my
Spit.  The bolt was seized up so that it was never coming off the correct
way, and the Dremel was the only thing I could get in between the manifolds
to do the job.  I did lose a few of those little cutoff wheels though. Boy
are they touchy.  At just a little angle, or with a little too much
pressure- <Crack> little bits of crap flying everywhere.  Nice reminder to
wear safety glasses!

----
Jeremy DuBois                              jer@thlogic.com
Manager, Info Systems                      http://www.thlogic.com/~jer/
Thermalogic Corporation                    '60 TR3A, '74 MGB, '76 Spit