RE: COMMISION NUMBERS???

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Subject: RE: COMMISION NUMBERS???
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 21:04:14 -0500 (EST)
Cc: robert ylitalo <robert.ylitalo@kiruna.se>, Triumph Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On 28 Jan 1997, Vincenti, Ross wrote:

> robert ylitalo wrote:
>
> On my car i found two plates one is with the commision number FC 59456
> and the colorcode etc but bellow this i have a smaller one with the number
> 52456 FC what does this number mean??
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Robert - it either means the second digit of the second number (the number
> "2") is really a "9", or that the second digit of the first number (the
> number "9") is really a "2".  Probably the tool die that stamped the number
> in the comm. plate didn't strike it very hard and thus it appears to be a
> different number.

I hadn't noticed how similar the two numbers were when I first read the
message. Regardless, the smaller, body-colored plate with the five-digit
number FOLLOWED by the FC letters simply designates the Body Number. It's
only a coincidence that the two numbers are off only in the second digit.
Often they run from hundreds to even thousands apart. More often than not,
there is no particular correlation between commission and body numbers,
any more than there is between commission and engine numbers.

Using a Mk.2 Spitfire I'm storing for a friend as an example, the
commission number is FC74560L; engine number FC74941HE; body number
69510FC. The first two are quite close, but the body number is
significantly off, although not out of range.

Another example, my 1970 GT6+: Comm. # KC75121L, engine # KD75226E
(different prefix for U.S. engines, apparently), and body number 75058KD
(again different prefix for U.S. bodies). Again, all numbers are close,
but don't match.

On some Triumphs the discrepancy can be disturbing at first glance, but
nonetheless easily explainable. I'm pretty sure all 948 Heralds were
numbered consecutively, regardless of body style: Coupe, Saloon and
(later) Convertible. My 948 Convertible is Comm. # Y14939LCV, but the
body number is RT (prefix code for convertible bodies) 92. Yes, that
indicates the 92nd Herald convertible body built, although the commission
number alone wouldn't necessarily suggest that.

More than anyone cared to know about "Herald-based" body numbers, huh? ;-)

--Andy