Mystery Pistons and the Dreaded DPO

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Mystery Pistons and the Dreaded DPO
From: Kenneth Brown <kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 07:26:22 -0800
Yikes..... Just finished breaking down my TR250 engine and doing some
measurements. Cranks been reground 0.01" once , mics at 2.301", and is in
excellent condition. Bores measure 2.943" with no taper or scoring. Pistons are
another story.....First thing I noticed was how much slop there was between the
piston and bore (Specs call for 0.004). Further inspection revealed Five Grade
G and one Grade F pistons with the corresponding grade stamped into the side of
the block (is this standard procedure?). Unusual but probably not that big of a
deal. The problem is the pistons measure a diameter of 2.922" which is about
.015" less than what is listed in the Bentley Shop Manual (page 103, sec
12.17.13). Does anyone know of any LBC that use the 2.922" pistons? Could the
car have come out of the factory with these pistons or is this a case of the
DPO?  The engine # is CC313E, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Ken Brown
TR250 getting closer to being back on the road each day