Re: Spitfires, Midgets and forklifts

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfires, Midgets and forklifts
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 11:46:00 +0000
Graham Robson in his book 'Triumph Spitfire and GT6', gives details in the final
chapter about 'sideways' developments of the Spitfire line.  He states that by
1973 it was recognised that the Midget did not produce enough power (due to the
restrictions imposed by the US emission requirements) and a larger engine was
required.  The BMC A-series used in the Midgets at the time had been bored out
to their maximum 1275cc in 1964, so an alternative was required.  The Spit 1500
was introduced to the North American market in 1973.  Despite the obvious
problem that the exhaust and inlets were on the opposite side, the Spit engine
fitted into the Midget engine bay quite easily.
Production started late 1974 for the 1975 model year vehicles.  Production
ceased at the end of 1979 although unsold cars were still available new until
mid 1981.