4-cyl engine rebuild questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 4-cyl engine rebuild questions
From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 09:11:17 -0500 (EST)
I'm about ready to reassemble an engine out of a TR4.  I've had it cleaned
up, liners rebored to 87mm, pistons and rotating parts balanced, and new
cam bearings installed.  I'm installing new main and rod bearings.
This is to be a street engine, not a race engine.  All I'm concerned with
now is the short block; I'm not soliciting advice about the head.  Here
are my questions:

1.  How do I install the plug behind the camshaft?
2.  I'm going with original-style oil seals, front and rear.  Are they up
to the task?
3.  How do I get the block attached to an engine stand?
4.  What sealant is recommended where the liners make contact with those
two 8-shaped metal gaskets?
5.  Will I need to bolt-down the liners using washers and bolts in order
to keep them in place?
6. Is there anything peculiar to this engine that I need to be careful
about as I proceed to install crank, cam, pistons?