Good book on motor/trans rebuild

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Good book on motor/trans rebuild
From: Eric Straub <ericst@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 13:53:16 -0800
I have most of the manuals for my spitfire (haynes, shop, diy restoration &
how to restore spitfire), but I'd like to get a good book on basic
automobile engine & transmission theory & overhaul. I'm looking for
something which gives in depth explanation of how they work & what is
important to get right when disassembly & rebuilding, etc.  Not something
specific to british or triumph, but more of a higher level "here's how you
rebuild engines" kind of book.

Has anyone on the list had good experience with a book like this?

Eric.