Re: The redlines are here!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: The redlines are here!
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 97 13:09:47 PST
Joe Merone wrote:

        > The 205/70's are current production Michelin XH model tires.  If you
go with
        > the 215/65's you get Goodyear Eagle GA's.  They're then remolded with
new
        > rubber with a tread pattern.....
        [snip]

Joe,
        Does "remolded" mean "retread" or "recap" (depending upon
which continent/hemisphere we come from)?  If so, do they have a
speed rating (H-, V-, Z- or whatever)?  They sound great.  Will they
give smiles-per-hour to the more "spirited" drivers?  :)

        On a slightly different note, I gave "Rags" ('74 TR6) a bit of
hard driving on the new 7"x15" Pannasports that I recently fitted.  I am
using the same 205/70-15 BFG Touring T/A's that I used on the steel
wheels, and so can offer some subjective impressions of the new wheels.

        Yes, I did notice a difference!  Again, its only subjective,
but I feel the whole car tightened up in ride quality and steering.
Steering effort seemed reduced at speed through corners (no
difference at slow speeds, of course!).  Road irregularities and
potholes appeared to be "smoothed out".  I guess all this is due to
the lightness and extra rigidity of the alloy wheel relative to the
old steel wheel.  Perhaps bizarrely, the ride seemed minutely quieter!
Nah, must be wax in the ears.

        Ken Streeter has asked me to write up my experiences with
the 7"x15", and I am in the process of doing that.  Bob Lang, John
Lye and Roger Bolick (plus others) have provided a lot of technical
input on tire choice which I am putting together.  I'll try to have
that done soon and will post it to the list!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego, with Santa Ana's and 80 degrees F.