Re:TR6 Rear Differential Questions (encore)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:TR6 Rear Differential Questions (encore)
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 23:01:16 +0000
Cc: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Tom Tweed wrote:

> Hi Glenn and list,
> Sorry, but I think I answered the wrong question above.  Can't even
> claim that I have IRS on the brain yet, too early in the year.
>
> After re-reading Glenn's post, it looks like he was referring to the
> Inner axle stub shafts, coming out of the diff itself, and NOT the
> wheel bearing hub stub axles.  He wrote ;
>
>  >I've read the posts that refer to the problem of removing the rear hub
>  >from the axle stub shaft to get at the seal for replacement.
>                                          ^^^^
> He must have a leaky seal, and wants to remove the bearing retainer
> flange, to replace its oil seal.  In the Haynes manual, these are
> shown in figure 8.1 as numbers 26,27,28,34,57, and other bits & pieces.

Thanks for the input Tom.

You are correct that I.m planning on removing the stub axle splined
shaft (right and left) from the differential housing to get at the seal
which is trapped between the stub shaft bearing and the axle hub mounted
on the tapered/keyed shaft. They diff also has carrier bearings to
support the diff ring gear case.

These bearings and seal come out when you take the 4 bolts out of the
seal/bearing retainer. The problem as described in earlier posts ( if I
understand them) is that everyone is having a problem removing the hub I
would assume to get at the seal after removing the Nyloc nut.

Anyway there's no way in hell the hubs come off without heat and brute
force.

Looking at the Bently manual, they show the exploded view a bunch of
different ways.

I wondered has anyone ever remove the stub shaft bearing, not the hub to
get at the seal? Last time (on my 71) I toasted the bearing and of
course the seal. Luckily the hub was ok.

Don't know if the seals are leaking but I thought I'd replace them with
the new pinion seal which is another story in its self.

Does anyone have a modern Rubber or Viton (replacement number) seal to
fit the pinion flange? I've had no luck with the felt seals.

thanks in advance

in a holding pattern on this/HELP!

Glenn Franco

71 TR6 and 74 under construction.