Re: TR6 Rear Differential Questions (encore)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Rear Differential Questions (encore)
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 21:33:50 -0500
Hi Glenn and list,
Sorry, but I think I answered the wrong question above.  Can't even
claim that I have IRS on the brain yet, too early in the year.

After re-reading Glenn's post, it looks like he was referring to the
Inner axle stub shafts, coming out of the diff itself, and NOT the
wheel bearing hub stub axles.  He wrote ;

 >I've read the posts that refer to the problem of removing the rear hub
 >from the axle stub shaft to get at the seal for replacement.
                                         ^^^^
He must have a leaky seal, and wants to remove the bearing retainer
flange, to replace its oil seal.  In the Haynes manual, these are
shown in figure 8.1 as numbers 26,27,28,34,57, and other bits & pieces.

 >Restored my 71TR6 back in 91/92 and had the same problem.
 >- one of the flanges almost fell off and the other would not
 >come off regardless.
 >- Tried to pull it off and bent a good Proto Hub Puller.
 >- Hammered/heated (still no good)
 >- Finally resorted to a torch and a major 50+ ton power press
 >at work and the hub finally came off with the bearing and of
 >course the seal destroyed.
 >
 >I'm in the process of doing the same to a 70 differential. Both hubs are
 >stuck on the tapered shaft. I'm not looking for all the grief I went
 >through the last time!
 >
 >The shop manual (Bentley) makes no mention of a press>

Neither does Haynes, it just says to match-mark the bearing retainer
to the axle casing, and (8.3.6) "Carefully withdraw the inner axle
shaft assembly from the axle casing, and keep separate  so that the
parts are not interchanged at any stage."
8.3.7 involves removing the Nyloc nut & washer, then
8.3.8 says, "Using a two leg puller separate the flange from the inner
axle shaft. An alternative method is to place the flange on top of the
jaws of a firm vice and with the shaft in a vertical position, tap the
end of the inner axle shaft with Nyloc nut fitted to ensure the thread
is not damaged."
8.3.9 Remove rectangular key
8.3.10  Remove bearing retainer with the oil seal in position.

 >Has anyone removed the hub, seal plate, stub shaft with bearing as a
 >unit and tried pulling the bearing (with a bearing splitter and a press
 >or puller)? Looks possible per the manual.

"As a unit" seems to be what's recommended; splines are shown on the
inner end of the axle shafts, where they mate with the differential.

 >Any 4.11's or lockers out there for sale?
 >
 >Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated
 >
 >Glenn Franco
 >
 >71 TR6
 >74 TR6 currently getting a frame off (early engine and drive train a
 >real Heinz 57 car)

Hope this reading from the `other' manual, by proxy, is of some use !!

Sorry about the confusion the first time.

Tom Tweed
SW Ohio