GT6 MkIII History + emission control overide

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT6 MkIII History + emission control overide
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 06:58:40 -0800
Greetings Peter, Burrrrr, sounds cold up there !!!

It would depend on what year your GT6 is but part of the problem may lie
internally. There really wasnt much external emission equipment, even on
later GT's.  While you could remove all the vacuum hoses and vacuum overide
switch in the radiator if yours is so equipped.  Charcoal canister and
re-vent the gas tank (altohough this dosn't detract from performance and I
think I would retain this).  Replace carbs, or needles to eairler spec's.
Reconnect only the vacuum advance and recurve the distributor you may be
stuck with a later spec cam.  The eairlier GT's had the 'hotter' TR5/TR250
cam.  Later, I don't recall what year but I believe it was around the end of
71 start of 72 model year, they changed spec's.  The only way to fix that of
course is to change the cam and lifters.
Good luck, been driving my GT most of the time for the last couple of weeks
because I'm rebulding the engine on the Spitfire.  Theyr'e fun little
cruisers.  Enjoy yours!

Hope that helps :-)

P.S. my Grandparents on my mother's side were of the McBride clan.  Must be
where my brother gets his red hair. . .

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (minor surgery started) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+