Re: GT6 MkIII History + emission control overide

To: Peter McBride <pmcbride@petespot.dnet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: GT6 MkIII History + emission control overide
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 10:21:05 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Peter McBride wrote:

> I'm writing from N.Ireland and I recently acquired a GT6 Mk III which had
> been imported from California.  There are a number of requests I have -
>
> 1.  Does any one have any info about overriding the emission control
> additions - the legislation is N.I. is different, and I want the power
> back.
>
> The car apparantly has 17,000 miles on the clock, is 1971, Laurel Green but
> covered with a coat of "red lead" for protection !!!  The state of the
> engine fits with the 17,000 miles.
> Registration : California 590 HNH
> Chassis / Body / Vin  :  KF10289L
> Engine Number : KF10324UE

Interesting. Both commission and engine numbers you give would make this
an early 1972 model, NOT a 1971. Restoring power shouldn't be much more
than raising the compression ratio, then maybe monkeying with carb needles
or settings and perhaps some distributor work and different pistons.

The U.S. 1972s and later had this low-compression engine with the dreaded
"recessed" block, so it's likely that decking the block and milling the
head some amount (can't help you on specifics -- anyone else care to?)
would be a good start to restoring the power.

FWIW, I had a 1972 in Laurel Green -- KF10224L -- now owned by another
sometimes Triumph lister person. The engine isn't really all that bad as
is, but it sure can't hurt to bring it back closer to UK specs!

--Andy