Re: U-Joint Removal!?

To: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: U-Joint Removal!?
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 08:34:59 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>        Now for the big questions.  Is this the right way to do this?  And if
>so, how does one get the new u-joint in without removing the caps from
>the u-joint?  Are the ujoints suppose to be so tightly fitted to the
>flang?  Without a vice I never would of stood a chance.

Sounds right to me.  Although I skip the vice step, and just use a heavy hammer
and several impact
sockets.  Small socket that fits in the flange hole to push the cup out, large
socket on the other
end to support flange and catch cup as it comes out.  Yes the joints are
supposed to be this
tight.  You do not want a u joint that rattles around in the flange!

As for the new U-joint, you have to remove at least some of the caps to install
the joint.  It's
not a particularly bad job reinstalling them.  The grease holds the needle
bearings nicely.

Now, the important part.  Did you mark the shafts before pulling the joint?
Reason being,
balance!  The units are usually balanced as a whole, and if you put it together
backwards (180
degrees out) you can get vibration.