TR6 J-type rear mounting bracket

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 J-type rear mounting bracket
From: Tim Taylor <ttaylor@citysearch.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:11:32 -0500
I have been converting my '76 TR6 to handle a J-type overdrive. I thought it
would be a simple swap of the gearboxs however this hasn't been the case.
The rear bracket from my standard overdrive  didn't clear the speedo mount
(even with a new angled cable adaptor),  and didn't match up to the new
mount bushings that I installed.  I was told by someone(that I thought knew
what they were talking about) that Triumph only made one size bracket.  He
told me that all I would need to do is to rotate the bracket 180 degrees and
it would work fine.  Well, I rotated it and it matches up to the V shaped
bracket will bolt into the mounts but  it will  almost completly cover the
area where the angled speedo  should go.   The only soultion that I can
possibly see to have both an overdrive, and a speedometer is to   weld and
drill a two inch alloy block onto the V portion of the mount.  Extend the
two studs that come from the bottom of the back of the transmission by about
two inches, ditch the angled drive piece and have the rear of the
transmission sit up higher than normal. This then creates problems in that
it might vibate because the drive-train is slightly off center, and I'll
have to carve up the fiberglass transmission cover.  Can someone tell me if
I'm doing this conversion tottally bass ackwards.  Are there different
mounting brackets for the J-type, and standard gear boxes?  Could I possibly
have the wrong angled speedo adaptor?(did it differ over various modle
years..this one might even be off a MG  overdrive but I don't see how
anything could fit in there the way the bracket lines up.  Anyone been here
before?
Tim Taylor                                      Direct Dial:(512)494-2144
Internet Layout Advisor                                 Fax:(512)472-8999
Citysearch                               http://www.citysearch.com
701 Brazos St. Suite # 440
Austin TX 78701