Exploding Spitfires

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Exploding Spitfires
From: Mark Townsend <markt@tiac.net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 17:50:03 -0400
Paul wrote:

This may seem like a question from someone with a little paranoia
and it's for my wife so go figure. As my 76 Spitfire is getting closer
to being road-worthy, my VERY safety minded wife wants to know the
likelyhood of a Spitfire exploding when rear ended. Given the location
of the fuel tank.  She doesn't want want the kids(who really want to
take a ride)at ANY risk. I don't either, but I told her she was being
over protective and not to worry.
        Does she have any just cause(besides being a woman)to be concerned
about this?

Paul;

I would be more concerned with those damned "monster" trucks running right
over me.

I have no fear of being rear-ended and having my 76 Spitfire exploding.

Being a former autobody man (13 years in the hole), I would place a lot of
faith in sturdy frame rails ( check them well -- both my 76 and my 77 had a
lot of rot from the rear cross member back to the bumpers).

You are more likely to be run over than blown up. But I guess that argument
wouldn't sit well with the wife either (my wife loves our triumph).

Good luck with convincing her.

mark townsend
76 Triumph Spitfire
87 Audi Turbo Quattro