Re: Fast TR-6

To: Tom Gentry <TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fast TR-6
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 00:11:15 -0400
Tom Gentry wrote:
> I've timed my TR-6 at 0-60 (corrected for speedo error) in the
> low 6 second range.

  Well, I guess you owe us to tell us what you have in there. Because
that is not in the same universe as stock, we can't be talking
minor mods here. For starters, is this a PI car?

  (incidently, low 6s should not beat 5.0 mustangs. I have one of
those g-tech thingies, and all my friends want to try it, so I
end up getting a fair feel for what cars can do what. A friends
bone-stock 5.0 was doing 5.7s once he had a few tries)

  You have hit a nerve with me that I will freely admit to being
oversensitive about. I have too many friends who drive normal
boring cars that they bought from their grandad, but love to
tell stories about "toasting" corvettes and 5.0s at stoplight
drags.

  ...and it was stoplight drags that first came up, not courses
with corners. Then again, I have another sore sport for people
who really beleive their LBCs can outhandle anything on the
road either, automotive suspension has come a long way since
these cars were designed. My "daily driver" Celica outhandles my
spridget all day, and spridgets are pretty high up the
LBC list in terms of point and squirt.

  These cars are wonderful, and I love every one I've ever
owned or driven. But they aren't rocketships, and they
aren't go carts eithers. Try something modern if you really
think they are.

  Well, that's my downer for the day.

--
Trevor Boicey