Re: Fast TR-6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fast TR-6
From: WINDOWSEET@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:56:04 -0400 (EDT)
Let's face it guiys what we are dealing with here is power to weight ratios.
Those guys with the samll and big block Detroit Iron are dragging around
almost two TR6's and although they make a lot of hp they can't get it to the
pavement. I owned a 200hp Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX with all wheel drive and I
used to delight in blowing off all kinds of "faster" cars....especially in
the wet. For years the hill climb record at Duryea (Reading, Pa.) was held by
a Prosche Spyder that held off efforts by Cobras and Grand Sport Corvettes. I
calculated that a mildly modified TR6 engine developing 165 hp could keep up
with a 300hp Mitsubishi 300 GT VR4 (which I've also had the pleasure of
owning). I've finally seen the light and will no longer pay those outrageous
prices, tire costs and insurance premiums. My GT6+ provides the same thrills
and the insurance company doesn't know a Weber carb from a Weber kettle! So I
can get away with a lot more hp per insurance dollar.

I have no problem believing a TR6 can keep the big ones at bay since a lot of
those older Mustangs and Camaros were low compression smog bound. For
instance a 1975 Trans Am had a 400 c.i. V8 that produced 185hp! Of course
there are a lot of highly modified muscle cars out there and the Detroit guys
are starting to appreciate polyurethane bushings and sway bars so choose your
competition carefully. I'll take a small light weight sports car over a
muscle car anyday regardless of the outcome of the occasional stop light
Grand Prix.....guess Britsih cars have been in my blood since my first rally
in a Bug eye Sprite.

Make for good conversation, anyway>

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+