California owners take heart re: Smog check

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: California owners take heart re: Smog check
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 17:36:11 -0700
Cc: cowan@erg.sri.com
Fellow Scions,

Although my 71 TR6 barely failed the California smog check a week ago,
it now passes with flying colors. The test results are as follows:

      Test               Max      My car     Avg of all cars
-----------------        -----     -----     ---------------
 Idle    HC ppm          550         94          147
 Idle    CO %            5.00%      1.23%        1.80
>2500RPM HC ppm          400         67          123
>2500RPM CO%             4.00%      2.32%        1.40

With all the publicity about the smog tests, I had been overly worried.
Thanks to Shane Ingate and others on this list, I asked for a pretest and
found that I wouldn't pass the first time.  Upon going through everything
again I found the gasket between one carb and the air cleaner was blocking
air from the temperature compensator (thus causing the mixture to be too
rich once it got warm).  Sheepishly, I must admit that I've had the feeling
the car wasn't running quite right for a while.  But it runs well now :-)

What I find so reassuring is that not only does my car pass, it is
significantly lower than the average on 3 of the 4 tests.

Breathing easier in California,
Cregg Cowan
71 TR6 CC63192L
Mountain View, California, USA