Re: California owners take heart re: Smog check

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: California owners take heart re: Smog check
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 97 09:04:52 PDT
Cc: cowan@lax.erg.sri.com
Greg Cowan wrote:
        [snip]
        > With all the publicity about the smog tests, I had been overly
worried.
        [snip]
        > What I find so reassuring is that not only does my car pass, it is
        > significantly lower than the average on 3 of the 4 tests.

Congratulations Cregg; passing smog is even more torturous on the mind
than passing tech inspection on a big race day.  Hoepfully, if SB42 is
passed, this will be the last test for you (until you go to sell the
car, if ever :)

However the subject "California owners take heart re: Smog check"
may be a little premature.  The next phase of SMOG II, the testing for
NOX emissions, commences Nov 1, 1997.  This test is new, and our older
cars were never designed to pass this test.  CARB have no "standards"
for older cars other than a database built up from the testing of new
vehicles.  Noone knows what will happen with our cars.  Smog stations
are required to spend $60K to upgrade their equipment for the new
NOX tests, so I forsee some of the "neighbourhood" stations closing down.

My advice to those whose registration is due at the end of the year or very
early next year, is to have you vehicle smogged before Nov 1.

Sorry if I ruined you Monday.....

        Shane Ingate in San Diego